Thursday, January 21, 2010

Back to the blog

I haven't really blogged in a long time. There is so much that happens here, and so much that I want to share with everyone back home, sometimes the thought of editing it down to fit a blog seems so overwhelming. I often end up abandoning the task before I even start. But after reading some of my older posts, I definitely see the benefit of documenting my experiences, if only for myself. So I am going to try and blog more regularly, however for daily updates, I still prefer twitter (@Knee_Socks). Ok, so how can I bring this up to speed from the last couple of months . . .well I guess I can start with my unexpected trip to Panama.
In November I went to see a dermatologist here on island, because I was having some adverse effects from all the sun exposure. For some reason*, she suspected that it could be a sign of lupus, and sent me for some blood tests. She didn't like what she saw, and recommended more testing. The problem was, that the type of testing I needed is not available in St.Kitts. Michelle, our island PCMO informed me that I would need to be medevaced and sent off the island for the additional testing. This was the beginning of December. I assumed that I would be sent back to PC headquarters in Washington, D.C. and I immediately began trying to figure out a way to get sent back to California instead! My thought was, that I didn't have the proper wardrobe to be in D.C. in December, and there was nowhere on island to buy winter clothes (not to mention that on my PCV salary I couldn't afford to). Since CA was still relatively warm, compared to rest of the U.S., it would make more sense for me to go there! Brilliant reasoning, right? Well that was until Michelle explained to me that they were sending me to the Eastern Caribbean medevac location in Panama!
I took this news with mixed emotions. I was excited to visit Panama, since I had never been; I was VERY disappointed to have the trip scheduled right through Christmas and Carnival season on the island; and I was a little worried about my health. I felt just fine, and didn't really think that lupus was a possibility, but the uncertainty of everything was very unsettling. Then I had to tell my family about it all, and God love them, my big sister & mom freaked out and managed to freak me out in the process. To top off all of this, Michelle also informed me that I had to pack my house before I left, because there was always the possibility that a serious health problem would be discovered and I would have to be medically separated from my service in St.Kitts. That was definitely the worse news of all, but I refused to believe that was a possibility.
So on December 13, with only about 4 days notice, just as Christmas break was beginning in St.Kitts, I left for Panama. My time there was full of both highs and lows. I got to see come great things, I loved all the different and affordable foods that I had to choose from, I met AMAZING people, I practiced my Spanish,and the shopping was so good! I also had to stay in a less than stellar hotel, I really didn't get to leave the city much at all, I was stuck there about 5 days longer than necessary, I missed J'Ouvert on island, and I spent Christmas nearly by myself in Dade-Miami(I'll write a separate blog for THAT experience.) Finally after two loooonnnggg weeks, I made it back to St.Kitts medically cleared with no signs of lupus. I arrived home just in time for NYE with the other EC80 volunteers, the Carnival Parade, and Last Lap. I was SO HAPPY to be home, and back in St.Paul's. I really missed it here, the kids, my friends and neighbors, the beautiful accent, the view of the Caribbean sea and the cool Caribbean breezes. I just plain missed St.Kitts, it's only been about 5 months, but it already feels a lot like home.

*The doctor also suspected lupus for another volunteer recently, which seemed like a coincidence, until a third volunteer pointed out that there was an ad on local television "Could it be Lupus," highlighting the disease. We think the doctor may have seen this ad too frequently.

Lorine, a PCV from Guyana, who was also in Panama. She is awesome and I can't wait for her to visit St.Kitts this summer.


Kaitlin, a Panama PCV who showed us around the city and kept us laughing!


The view from our rooftop pool, the one cool thing about the hotel



The Canals




Making Friend~Haciendo Amigos!




2 comments:

Katrina said...

I like your Justin Timberlake hat :) I also notice that while you mention your over-reactionary mother and older sister you fail to mention that your oh-so-level-headed younger/prettier sister remained positive and calm. You know, even with you hundreds of miles away things really aren't that different than if you had been here. :) I'm glad you're not diseased and I am REALLY glad you don't have to come home.

Tiffany said...

It is true my very pretty young sister did in fact keep her pretty little head about her. Thank God I can always count on her to be the much needed contrast to my emotionally charged mother and OLDER sister.