Saturday, July 25, 2009

Why the Peace Corps?

I have begun corresponding with another future EC PCV (Eastern Caribbean Peace Corps Volunteer). She recently asked me why I have chosen the Peace Corps, a question that many friends have asked, and so has the Peace Corps. Part of the application process requires us to write a Motivation Statement about why we have chosen to apply, and I thought to easiest way to answer everyones' question, was to share my Motivation Statement with you all!

2/11/08 (over 18 months ago!)

The idea of participating in Peace Corps first began to interest me while I was still in High School. I was fascinated by the idea of moving abroad, learning a new language, and serving a community in need. At the time, as a teenager, it seemed like a romantic and lofty goal. When I began college though, in 1998, many other ambitions and distractions occupied my mind, and Peace Corp service lost its priority to me. Then in 2001, I experienced what I consider to be somewhat of an epiphany.
One typical morning I was getting ready for work as I normally did. I got in my car and prepared for the quick twenty-minute commute to my job at a local mall. As I made my way down the highway I worried about being late. In the midst of my distraction, I lost control of my vehicle. My car veered towards the right and in a panic I pulled hard to the left, strongly over compensating the re-direction. As my car hit the gravel shoulder along the highway it began to spin out of control. I can still remember the exact details of this experience. I knew that I was tumbling and could hear the sound of unnatural movement. I was scared because I did not know when the movement would end or what condition I would be in once it did. Before long it did stop, and there seemed to be a long pause of dead silence followed by the blaring whirl of other cars passing me by. It did not take me long to realize two things; first, I was upside down and second and more importantly, I wasn’t hurt. I felt perfectly intact, no blood, sharp pains, or anything. I also quickly realized that I needed to get out of the car, fast!
I rolled down my window, unbuckled my seat belt, and climbed out of the window. Already a small group had gathered and the people there were concerned and helpful. They made sure I was okay, verified that there was no one else in the car, and waited until an ambulance arrived. I went to the hospital that afternoon, they checked me over and soon discharged me without any significant concerns.
Over the next several days I went over the events again and again in my mind. I even went back to the tow-yard to sign off my car. When I saw it, I could not believe it. It was beyond totaled and had even caught on fire shortly after I had evacuated it. I wasn’t sure how I survived, and with no injury at that. I soon began to question not only how, but why I survived. As I meditated and prayed over this question, I gained a personal understanding that I had survived for a reason, a purpose. I began to feel that I was here on Earth to something good, something for someone else. I continued to search my mind and heart for what that something could be, and the answer began to develop, the Peace Corp.
Since this time, the goal to become a Peace Corp volunteer has been in my mind and in my heart. At times the desire has been stronger than others, but it has never left me. Because of this desire, I have continued to seek out opportunities and experiences that will help to prepare for life as a Peace Corps service volunteer.

1 comment:

Jaime Lyn Quinto said...

I think of this crash often too, Mo knows the whole story. he said angels were there with you. :) I too am so surprised that no damage was done. I remember you calling me after it happend. And i remember how for a long time you could not comfortably drive on the freeway. You have come so far in so many ways.

I love you and everything you believe in. you are my "pride" with out sounding korny, or like your parent. I am just so very proud of you and the way you saw that you need to really commit to this.

This entry has inspired me to spend some time thinking about why I went to the hospital, that was as life changing as your car experience and we both know it has inspired me a little. But there is much more I can figure out from that experience. Something to definately think about.