Sunday, September 13, 2009

The secret lives of EC trainees

It is hard to keep up with the blogging, everyday I am going through so many new things. This past week is a great example: on Tuesday I visited the local primary school for the first time; Wednesday & Thursday I attended the National Consultation on Economics, where I met the Prime Minister of St.Kitts, the Deputy Premier of Nevis, and several other Ministry Secretaries; Friday I went to a Dance Contest in Sadlers; Saturday I went to a BBQ hosted by the veteran PCVs for all of a neophytes; and Sunday I attended my first Kittitians church service. I could easily write several pages about each of the experiences, but I think I will spare us all from that epic masterpiece. I will try my best to stick to the highlights.
Tuesday at St. Paul's primary was great! I wish I had pictures, and I will definitely be taking my camera next time. When I first arrived one of the Grade 5 teachers was kind enough to introduce me to all of the classes. I believe there is 14 classes total, each with approximately 25 students. The staff was very hospitable, and the kids were adorable. I sat in on a Grade 1 class, and they were a lot of fun. A little shy, very excited, and curious about me. I stayed through the first part of lunch, and just hung out with kids, me observing them/them observing me. It was really funny how the children express their interest and curiosity by touching my hair and rubbing my skin. This is something that has surprised me a bit about St.Kitts. I thought that because of my darker complexion, I might blend in with the locals. Totally not the case. I get called white lady at least once a week, and this amuses me to no end. In the states, people are always asking my "what are you?" But here I am just straight up white. I think my fellow volunteer, Saira, is experiencing a similar phenomenon. She is Middle Eastern-American, but here in St.Kitts, she's white! In any case, the children at St.Paul's primary were very charming. I have asked them to come say hello to me when they are in the village, so now when I walk through the streets, there are all of the beautiful little Kittitians waving at me and running over to say hello. They make my day!
Wednesday & Thursday were really something. In all honesty, I was a little in awe of my access to such an event, not mention the opportunity to shake hands with the Prime Minister Hon. Dr. Denzel Douglas. It is not everyday that I shake hands with the leaders of nation. I mean sure, it happens ...just not everyday. I have mixed emotions about the consultation, but I can say this, it was an honor to be invited, and it offered some valuable insight into how things get done on St. Kitts. The focus for this years budget is Youth Development, which I think is great. Several Ministries proposed some wonderful programs, which I also think is great. However, there does seem to be a lack of the substance & commitments that are required to bring these initiatives to fruition, which is not so great. Overall though, the consultation really enlightening and everyone I met was interesting, charming, and engaging.
Wow, I'm just half-way through the week, and there is still so much to explain! Ok Friday was a dance contest in Sadlers. There is no simple way to describe it. Will (a fellow PCV) and I both thought it was going to be like a culture dance exhibition, well it was a exhibition alright. But the style was dance hall, and it was much more contemporary than expected. It was a fun and exciting show, and Will and I definitely got a taste of the local youth culture. I'll put a link Will's blog because he has better pictures and some video as well (http://kittsmet.blogspot.com/2009/09/jingle-bells-cockleshells.html).
Ok, so that brings us up to Saturday. . The BBQ that the EC78 volunteers hosted for us was absolutely perfect. We spent the day at Cockleshell Beach down on the peninsula, and it was so beautiful. The water was aqua and clear. The beaches were sandy and warm. There was a ton of delicious food, and everyone was in a great mood. It was just the break we all needed. Really words can not do it justice, so I'll just include some of my favorite pics.
Finally to Sunday! But I must admit, I am running out of steam, and there is some skype'ing I want to fit in before bed. Just a quick summary of service this morning. It was two and half hours long, which is about 90 minutes longer than I am used to. Everyone dresses up in there best attire, which is hard to do for PCVs since we can only pack a limited amount of clothing, and formal wear is NOT on the packing list. The congregation was enthusiastic, energetic, hospitable, and warm (as most Kittitians are). Many of the members welcomed me and expressed their pleasure in having me attend. Despite the lengthiness, I really enjoyed the service and will definitely be returning sometime in the near future.
That is it for tonight, reliving it all on my blog has me spent. I am still waiting for some letters from back home, so if you are reading this, spread the word. I have another long day of training tomorrow morning, but this week is sprinkled with some National Holidays. I will post again soon, hopefully with some fun photos.










1 comment:

Jaime Lyn Quinto said...

love the pics, besides that "White" girl in the black baithing suit, the scenery is sooooo beautiful, almost fake looking.
p.s. youve always been a "white mexican" no matter how much culture you study. lol. love you.