Monday, September 21, 2009

Half-Way Through Training.

We have begun our fifth week in the Eastern Caribbean, and so far St. Kitts is treating me very well. Every other day, before training, all of the EC80 members compare notes about what goes on in our communities and within our home stay. There have been ups & downs for some, and we actually lost one of the married couples last week (we miss you Tom & Barb). I have to admit though, I have been very fortunate so far. Helping to ease my adjustment is the amazing host family I have. They are kind, hospitable, and relaxed. They go out of their way to introduce me to many of their neighbors and family members, who are then kind enough to keep my days filled with all kinds of fun activities. This is the other area where I have been really lucky, I have women my age nearby that invite me out regularly. Few of the other volunteers go out with the locals I often as I do. It is usually fun and leisure activities, but since the whole home stay process is supposed to promote community immersion, I am pretty sure it will help me out later :)
Some of the really cool things I got to do last week were a Zip Line Safari through the rain forest, a beach trip to beach to Dieppe Bay, a trip on the St.Kitts scenic railroad, and an Independence Day celebration at the Governor's House. The Zip Line and railroad trip were just by chance! One of my host mother's nieces got invited to do the zip line by a former co-worker, and told her to bring a friend, and she invited me! It was so much fun, I can't wait to take my family when they come to visit. I know it is something that my niece and nephew will just love. Flying through the trees, 100's of feet above the air, at speeds of 35+ mph. I really want to get my Mom to go too! It is worth it for the views alone, but it's also such a fun rush. The other EC80 volunteers and I are already making plans to go as a group. They were so jealous when I showed them my souvenir photo. I lucked into the train trip pretty much the same way, one of the other volunteers was invited by a host family relative, she had extra tickets and invited me to come along. It was a very nice ride that went through parts of the island and coastline that I usually don't get to see. It's a touristy kind of thing to do, but was a very nice way to spend my Saturday morning, and the complimentary daiquiris were a nice bonus.
Saturday night was really the highlight of my week. Every Independence Day (September 19th) the Governor General hosts a celebration at the Springfield House, his official residence. I was invited to join some of the young people from my village, St. Pauls, and I am so glad that I got to attend. The house is grand and beautiful, with a yard that looks like a park. This is where they had all the festivities set up, an hors d'oeuvres buffet, open bars, a band, "christmas" lights everywhere, and all of the Kittitian women in formal gowns. It really was a sight to see. Everyone looked great and was having a fine time. We were all in a good and friendly mood, which is typical of St.Kitts, but the formal party added an extra hint of excitement to the night. Of course the Governor was there, as well as the Prime Minister & Deputy Prime, and many of the Ministry Secretaries, but also a lot of locals and a few other foreigners as well. I spent time with my friends from St.Pauls, some of the other volunteers and their host families, as well as some British sailors who were invited to join as well. We all kept proclaiming our good fortune at securing such honorable invitations and generally enjoying ourselves in the warm Kittitian night air. I never expected that the Peace Corps would be my opportunity to keep such frequent company with all the major players of a nation, but I guess it's bound to happen on an island of only 40,000 people-and I'm not complaining at all! I can't wait for the next soiree.
In addition to cocktail parties and day trips to the beach, I am actually taking my training seriously. While we are still in the middle of our acclamation process, were discouraged from jumping into any projects or committing to anything too soon. They want us to take our time and get to know our communities, and really give ourselves a chance to build a foundation and identify some areas where we can be of real service. Spending time with my neighbors, attending church service, and observing at the schools are all a part of this process. In the meantime, I am doing some initial planning on projects that I am really excited about. Hopefully I will have more to write as things come into fruition over the next several weeks or more. Yes I am enjoying myself, but be assured, I am working hard too!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tiffany, I am so sorry to hear that one couple dropped out. Are you able to share why they decided to leave the Peace Corp? It all sounds so exciting the new life you have. I wish you the best.

Will's mom :)

Tiffany said...

Hi Diane! Thanks for reading :) Tom & Barbara had some pressing family matters back home, and decided that it would be best for them to return to the states. They're a great couple and everyone here was very sad to see them go.